Sunday, November 20, 2011

Assimilation of Work Ethics- Managing in Social Change

      Historically, work was very hard without many options to the worker. Opportunities to pick a profession according to one’s desires, was unheard of. Most of the time, boys went in to their father’s profession and girls were taught to be housewives and mothers.
      When I think of my father's lack of education and opportunity, he still chose what he wanted to do professionally. He came from a lower middle class background, barely finishing high school. His father wasn’t happy being a butcher and it had a negative effect on him. If a parent demonstrates a dislike for a job or a fear of unemployment, children will tend to assimilate these attitudes” (Hill, 1992). Right out of high school, he went to work refinishing floors. It was very hard on him physically; on his knees especially. And after only a few years, decided he wanted to change professions.
      He applied and tested to become a sheriff, but didn’t pass the aptitude test. It was evident the lack of education was to blame for this and it had a profound effect on him emotionally. As he prepared to become a truck driver, he studied driving courses and succeeded in passing his driving test for a chauffeur’s license. He retired as a Teamster after twenty years and received a great pension.
      For us today, we don’t see from my father’s story that he really had many options or that he felt successful with his work. He had limited opportunities by standards today. But to him, he chose his path. The difference between my father and his is that my dad had choices, as limited as they were, whereas his father didn’t. My grandfather was taught a trade by his father and was expected to go into that profession. It wasn’t his choice to do so. On one level his work life was very unfulfilling, but he was luckier than most. It was in the great depression when so many people did not have the luxury of working; therefore he was grateful for something he hated.
       I was also raised with the expectation of getting married to a man that would support me, have children, and be a housewife like my mother. It never occurred to my father to set up a college fund for me when one of my high school teachers explained  I had finished high school 6 months early and should go to college. He said to my teacher, “She should have told me before now she wanted to go to college.” There was little expectation for me move beyond the class and culture I was born in. It wasn’t until my thirties, did I realize what I wanted to do with my life. I knew if I was going to become a social worker, I would have to pay for it myself, which I did.
      Recently divorced, with four small children, living in a small one bedroom apt, I became a college student. I worked two part time jobs, went to school full time while raising  small children. I graduated from Louisiana Tech University in 1994. I realized my dream to work with HIV/AIDS patients that year and became a case manager in a HIV/AIDS resource center. I have not regretted my decision for one minute, because I feel I was “called” to do what I do. 
      Even though my father didn’t have the foresight to understand looking past one’s surroundings to accomplish the extraordinary, he did give me something very valuable, a strong work ethic. “Parents who demonstrate a strong work ethic tend to impart a strong work ethic to their children” (Hill, 1992). I like the quote by Woody Allen, “Eighty percent of success is showing up.” Dreams and expectations are realized if you don’t give up and just keep putting one foot in front of the other.  
Oh, and for the record, I was the first woman in my family to earn a degree and plan to start law school Jan.2013.

References
Hill, R. (1992). Historical Context of the Work Ethic. Retrieved November 20, 2011 from

No comments:

Post a Comment